It’s a cold winter morning and you wake up to discover that your furnace isn’t working. Before you call a heating and cooling service company, try these troubleshooting steps first.
- Check other gas appliances you own to make sure that they work. If they don’t, you may have a gas outage and need to call the gas company instead.
- Check the breaker box to make sure you don’t have a tripped switch.
- Check the thermostat to make sure it’s set to heat and is set to a temperature setting that is higher than the indoor temperature.
- Check the air filter to make sure that it’s not clogged.
- Check the pilot light to see if there’s a flame.
If you try all of these troubleshooting tips and your furnace still is not working, then it’s time to schedule an appointment with an HVAC company.