The Columbus, Ohio summer is quickly approaching and so is the heat and humidity. We want you to be comfortable this summer so we gathered our favorite cooling tips that can easily be applied to any home. Follow these tips in order to stay cool this summer and to make your home is as pleasant as possible even on the hottest of days.
- When possible, delay heat-generating activities such as dishwashing until the evening on hot days.
- Keep your home’s entrances sealed tight during the day to avoid unwanted heat from coming in. Ventilate at night either naturally or with fans to keep your home free of humidity.
- Use ceiling fans to increase comfort levels at higher thermostat settings. The standard human comfort range in the summer is between 72º F and 78º F.
- Try not to use a dehumidifier at the same time your air conditioner is operating. The dehumidifier will increase the cooling load and force the air conditioner to work harder.
- Clean your A/C’s air filter every month during cooling season. Normal dust build-up can reduce air flow by 1 percent per week.
- Keep your blinds closed because up to 30 percent of unwanted heat in the home comes from hot windows.
- Crack windows open at night to let cool, fresh air in. As long as you live somewhere where the temperature drops at night, this is a great way to stay comfortable in your home.
While it may be tempting to crank up the air conditioning, there are many other options to choose from to cool down your home. Hopefully you can use a few of our tips to keep your home cool this summer. For more tips and tricks, stay tuned to our future blog posts.