Before you consider making one more call to your favorite HVAC contractor for another repair on your older furnace, read these 5 common signs that you need a new furnace.
- Your utility bill has increased. A sudden increase in your heating bill compared to years past may indicate that your furnace is near the end of its lifespan. As internal parts of your furnace age and wear out, you gas or electric bill may increase.
- Frequent furnace repairs. If you feel like you’ve been shelling out a lot of money on furnace repairs the past couple of years, you may need a new furnace. Furnaces incur the most repairs during the last two years of their lifespan.
- No matter how you set the thermostat, you’re just not comfortable. Are you constantly adjusting your thermostat to stay comfortable? Are certain areas of your house too hot, while others are too cold? If this is the case, it may be evidence that your furnace can no longer distribute heat evenly and properly throughout your home.
- Your furnace makes weird noises. If you turn on your furnace and hear strange noises – rattling, popping, banging – it may need replaced. Older furnaces tend to make more noise as they age and approach the end of their lifespan.
- Your furnace is older than 15 years. Although many of the newest models can last 20 years, if your furnace is over 15 years old, it may be time to consider a new one.