4 tips for buying a new furnace
Think it’s time for a new furnace? Purchasing a new furnace is a big investment. Here are four tips to keep in mind before making the actual purchase.
- Shop off-season (spring or fall). Don’t wait until the dead of winter when your furnace breaks down to look into purchasing a new furnace. No one likes to have to make major purchase decisions under pressure. Shopping for a furnace in the spring or fall has a few advantages:
- Prices on new units are better
- HVAC companies aren’t as busy in the spring and fall
- More time to shop around and find the right unit for your family at the right price
- Calculate how much you can save by buying a new furnace.
- Have your current furnace evaluated to determine its condition and energy efficiency.
- Take a look at some old utility bills to see how much you typically spend on heat.
- Look at the AFUE of the new unit – annual fuel utilization efficiency. The higher the AFUE, the lower your monthly heating costs.
- Plug the numbers into an online calculator – like Energy Star. This will help you determine your potential savings and how long it will take to breakeven on the investment in a new furnace.
- Use a reputable HVAC company. Use a licensed HVAC contractor that has been in business successfully for some time. Read online reviews and ask for recommendations from friends, neighbors, and family members.
- Make sure the air ducts in your home don’t leak, that you have adequate insulation, and weather stripping around doors and windows. This will help you to maximize your investment.
Plumbing emergency? We respond any time!